Maria O’Brien’s practice involves painting and drawing. She has a Masters in Fine Art and a First Class Honours Bachelor of Arts in Fine Art Painting from the National College of Art and Design and a Higher Diploma in Art Education from Limerick School of Art and Design. She has vast experience teaching both at second level & in the adult education sector.
“The starting point of my work is the figure in landscape. I paint from photographs mostly of people at leisure. I recognise a collective romanticism or yearning for the experience of the sublime or adventure.”
Maria is a resident artist in Laois Arthouse Studios, Stradbally, Co. Laois http://www.arthouse.ie/resident-artists.
- 2008-2010: Honours Masters, Fine Art Painting: National College of Art and Design, Thomas Street, Dublin
- 2004-2005: Graduate Diploma, Art and Design Education, Limerick School of Art and Design, 2.1
- 2000 to 2003: Bachelor of Arts, Fine Art Painting, National College of Art and Design, Thomas Street Dublin. Overall Result: First Class Honours (H1) Commended
- 1999-2000: Core Year, National College of Art and Design, Thomas Street Dublin
- 12th – 18th August 2019, Artist Residency, Shankill Castle, (Home of Painter Elizabeth Cope) Paulstown, Co Kilkenny
- Tipperary Artists Award Scheme 2019, Creation of New Work Materials Bursary
- Laois County Council Tyrone Guthrie Residency Regional Bursary 2018
- Tipperary County Council, Tyrone Guthrie Residency Bursary 2016
- Resident artist Laois Arthouse, Stradbally 2014-present
- Winner of month-long, Residency in the Art House Studios, Stradbally, Co. Laois, November 2013 from Dunamaise Arts Centre group exhibition and Laois County Council, as chosen by Noel Kelly Director of Visual Artists’ Ireland. August
- Solo Exhibition Award 2011, North Tipperary Arts Office, Civic Offices, Nenagh
- Tyrone Guthrie Centre Regional Bursary 2007 & 2010, North Tipperary Arts Office
- Support for North Tipperary Artists Bursary 2006, 2008, 2011 North Tipperary County Council.
- Finalist for Tipp FM Bursary 2007
- Visual Artists Ireland Collection
- North Tipperary County Council Collection
- AXA Insurance Collection
- OPW Collection